Treatment unfolds in three stages:
- Helping couples manage with the immediate crisis of the affair (when it has become discovered and acknowledged)
- Helping understand the variables (or reasons) that may have to contributed to a partner’s decision to have an affair.
- Helping couples move ahead with acceptance and ultimately forgiveness.
If both parties are committed to working on the relationship, treatment will focus on:
- Repairing difficulties in the relationship, which may have contributed to distancing in the relationship.
- Repairing physical and emotional intimacy.
Guidelines for Constructive Discussions About the Affair
How to Stay Grounded - Affair Counselling
Potential Contributing Factors - Affairs