The goal of career or vocational counselling is to help clients reach their personal career goals. Typically, a therapist will use a variety of skills and techniques to help clients make informed decisions about potential career choices. Choices are best made once an individual has a better understanding of their own capacity (both physical and mental), available career options, and motivational or self-limiting behaviours.
One of the benefits of career counselling is identifying the strengths of an individual and how each can be utilized appropriately. Our goal is to help our clients clarify expectations and take action to alleviate anxieties, fill in missing information, and address indecisiveness.
Effective career counselling will help clients:
- Find their career related passion.
- Develop a plan to help use their unique talents, interests, values, and life experiences to achieve their goals.
- Challenge disempowering beliefs and barriers that may be limiting learning or progression.
- Make decisions based on values, needs and inner beliefs.
- Develop strategies to implement healthy work/life balance.
- Develop healthier coping strategies for managing potential stressors or conflict situations.
- Approach the future with enthusiasm and optimism.