How to Stay Grounded During this TimeDuring difficult times, it’s easy to neglect aspects of our health that are important for us to function. We recommend that you continue to sleep, eat, and exercise during this difficult time.
Here are some ways to help you manage with the stress of finding out about your partner’s affair:
- Write to people you are angry with; just make sure you don’t send the letters.
- Talk to friends – We recommend that you speak with friends that you trust. If you do choose to repair your relationship and they do become aware of the affair, ask yourself if they will make your choice to stay with your partner difficult. If they would, you may want to reconsider telling them.
- Talk to your therapist.
- Take a long walk.
- Hit a punching bag or go for a run.
- Join a new group physical activity class (e.g. yoga).
- Scream or cry in the car.
- Cry in places where you feel comfortable (e.g. shower or bedroom).
- Find humorous activities – watch a comedy television show or attend a stand-up comedy performance
- Write – journal your feelings.
- Relaxation exercises – a quick Internet video search could help you find many relaxation exercises (e.g. progressive muscle relaxation, autogenic training, deep breathing, guided imagery).
- Problem solving activities – video games or puzzles.
- Listening to music.
- Rest – counting your breaths or taking deep sighs.
- Taking a shower or an Epson salt bath.
- Taking a hike – nature will help you stay grounded.
- Television – get lost in a new television series.
- Go for a massage.
- Try to stay mindful at this time – read texts on mindfulness.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email us.